Laser Cleaning is a process that removes scale, oxides, dust and oil from materials. Using a short-pulse laser, the surface is cleaned to the bare metal quickly and with minimal heat affect. It can be an in-line or batch process performed directly prior to a process that requires a clean, bare metal surface.
The advantages are:
- No solvents are used, so it is environmentally friendly and operators are not exposed to chemicals. (assuming nothing harmful is vaporized)
- It is relatively easy to automate, e.g., by using robots.
- The running costs are lower than dry media or Dry-ice blasting, although the capital investment costs are much higher.
- The process is gentler than abrasive techniques, e.g. carbon fibers within a composite material are not damaged.
- Heating of the target is minimal.
Video source for the gif: